Thursday, April 12, 2012

Day 34 of IVF Cycle 2...Waiting and "Is that Normal?"

Sitting at home on my couch constantly re-adjusting myself trying to find some semblance of comfort. The last week as been the most intense physically out of both of our IVF series. We were not at all prepared for the way my body handled/responded to the retrieval procedures and drugs.

I do want to say that I hope none of you reading this think "Oh my goodness why is she complaining? She should be grateful that she is able to do this again." To that I would say you're right, we are SO grateful to have the opportunity to attempt this again but that also this blog serves almost like a journal and I would rather be 100% truthful, even with the unpleasant stuff, than not. The good, the bad, and the uncomfortable.

Lesson's Learned

Our first IVF series was literally at half the drug dosage we have been on throughout this one so I should have known better than to expect the same type of experience, but for some reason, it didn't occur to us. I thought I would bounce right back and be able to go to work and on with my life but NO....no, my body had other plans.

I was so nauseous and so uncomfortable that even when my husband Chris (who had to stay at home from work with me a few days because I was so sick) would come in to check on me & gently sit on the edge of the bed, just that small motion would make me sick.

Today, on day 34 of our IVF cycle series 2 I finally feel a bit better! No more nausea although I will always recommend asking for Zofran vs Phenergen (phenergen does make you sleepy and just out right loopy...or at least it did me). And we are still not sure what caused the face flushing reaction that I had. Could have been a combination of all the drugs I suppose. It happened a total of two times and my face is so dry and flaky from the last "flushing." At least it isn't bright fire engine red anymore.

This is a glamorous picture of me from yesterday...look how SWOLLEN! Everywhere! Oh & please don't judge the messy room. It's been a long week.

I texted the above picture to several friends and family yesterday to give them a better idea of what I was feeling and the over all response was "OMG is that Normal!?" Is that Normal has been the theme of the past week of our lives. 

Chris and I both have called our clinic every other day with the question "Is this normal?". From the nausea, the extreme swelling and bloating, constipation, and weird traveling bruising from the Progesterone shots Chris has been administering to me in my hip nightly. I never want to be THAT patient but it is always better to call and ask...Is this normal?

Karen has been wonderful as always and each time has advised us calmly on how to handle our current crisis. We finally got the nausea figured out, I'm allowed to take regular doses of Milk of Magnesia and stool softeners, tylenol for pain, and the bruising and bloating is "Normal". Not being able to take a deep breathe or stand up fully straight scared us as well but guess what.....it's normal. 

I remember thinking that with IVF once you had the retrieval procedure and embryo transfer that you were finished and the hard part of waiting was all that was left. While part of that is true, the waiting sucks, we still have the nightly progesterone shots that he gives me in my hip. 

Our first series of these went well and weren't too horrible. A lot of people dread these because they are oil based and have to be administered right into the muscle of your hip. This time around...well, they don't feel good.

I took a picture of my swollen and bruised hips but decided against posting it here...a bit graphic I'll be honest. The swelling and bruising has made it very difficult to 1) find clothes that fit & are comfortable 2) sleep 3) be comfortable sitting, I have a pile of pillows under me right now as I type.

Heat does help but you have to be careful on not to apply too much. No heating pads I was told. We wet a small rag and just press it on the injection site right after he gives me my shot for a few minutes. The relief is instantaneous. 

It's almost the weekend and then on Monday morning we go back to the clinic for our blood test, THE blood test to tell us either yes you're going to be parents or no, not this time. We greatly appreciate your thoughts, prayers, and texts!

THANK YOU~

To my sister Nicole for helping me with everything....I mean everything. Getting through my shot yips, my calls and texts of "Is this Normal or am I dying?", my complaining and for making sure that we know no matter what happens WE WILL BE PARENTS ONE DAY.

My best friends Casey and Andrea for always asking, "Is there anything I can do?"

My brother for always finding the humor in the humorless. 

My parents for their unconditional love and support. 

My co-workers Danielle, Brett and Gray for being so understanding, flexible, caring and supportive. 

Thank you so much to our family and friends for being so supportive through out this entire process, We couldn't do it with out you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment