Monday, March 12, 2012

Run Sissy Run!

Yesterday my sister Nicole completed the PETCO Park Half Marathon in San Diego California! She ran in honor of Chris and I's struggle with infertility and raised funds leading up to the run. I know I have sung her praises many times before on this blog but truly there aren't enough words to describe what she means to me.

PETCO Park the morning of the Half Marathon

The day we found out we weren't pregnant and that our first attempt at IVF had not worked she opened the fundraising website for Baker Baby. There was never a moment of doubt or hesitation for her, she just did. I have always admired her tenacity and strength and this process has highlighted those aspects of her even more.

Nicole showing off the back of her running jersey in our honor

Nicole is not only strong, but incredibly loving and loyal. I have been so blessed in my life to be surrounded by women that are both of these things. My mother, my sister, and my best friend all embody the duality of being fiercely strong & independent survivors as well as incredibly loving, giving, selfless, empathic people. 

Nicole showing off her Half Marathon Medal

Nicole averaged an 8:30 mile overall and also set a new PR (personal record) of 1:52! For someone like me who typically only runs when I feel it's an absolute necessity (like being chased), or when I feel like my favorite pair of pants are fitting a wee too tight, Nicole choosing to conquer this physical feat for us is extraordinary. 

As of today we have raised through the Baker Baby fundraising website (link at the right hand side of the blog) a total of.............................

$4,528 !!!!!!!! 

This is absolutely amazing and we couldn't have done it without her! This is the last day the site will remain active so please visit it and leave us a "hug" (prayer or comment) or a donation towards Baker Baby.

 Chris and I also want to thank those of you who have sent cards and donations privately towards Baker Baby. Thank you Mr and Mrs Witcher, Billy and Ashley Witcher and my mother Sue Case for funding our first attempt at IVF series this past January. 

We love you all.



No comments:

Post a Comment