Tuesday, March 13, 2012

First round of Injections

So Chris and I began our first round of injections of our second attempt at IVF this past Saturday evening. I was working a wedding and had to be on site during the injection. Chris and I managed to find an abandoned restroom within the building and did it there. I crouched on the floor, leaned up against the wall and closed my eyes. Not the greatest experience but definitely not the worst.

Our first injections consist of the drug called Lupron. What is Lupron?

Lupron is the GnRH-agonist (gonadotropin releasing hormone agonist) that suppresses the LH surge until the follicles mature. In other words, Lupron puts your ovaries to sleep so that you do not ovulate before the egg retrieval.


Yes this is a crappy picture of our bottle of Lupron but I am NOT taking a pic of the syringe. That would mean I would have to actually look at it.

Makes sense right? I have also been on birth control in order to "control" the timing of the ovulation, stimulation, and over all IVF procedure. I take my last birth control pill this Thursday and continue the daily Lupron injections until the end of next week. 


The injections so far have not been bad. One in the arm and Chris is a pro at giving them to me by now. I also have a little cuddly guy on loaner from my best friend Casey. Her stuffed animal "baby" Rocky the Panda that she's had since she was born.


Rocky the much loved Panda on loan

Rocky helps, so does closing my eyes, lying down and covering my face with a wet rag like I have before. The only real side effects I've noticed thus far are itchiness at the injection site and some mild headaches. I woke up with a bad one this morning.

I will be making a post soon in regards to the final numbers on my sisters fundraising efforts through the Baker Baby website. I am so amazed by the support we received and am trying to think of a creative way to properly thank everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment